Monday, September 10, 2007

Yeah HealthPartners!

After hearing many rumblings around the adoption community that people’s health insurance wasn’t covering any of their needed immunizations to travel, I had resigned myself to having to pay big bucks for Brad and me to be stuck with needles. Lots and lots of needles. Until Friday, when it occurred to me, maybe I should call HealthPartners and see if Brad and I would be covered? Maybe somehow we have some sort of ‘super-duper insurance’ that no one else has, nor I even know about? Couldn’t hurt to call … Bam! All it took was a ten minute call and I have the name and address of two approved travel clinics, plus ALL of the vaccinations we choose to do will be 100% covered. Well, except for our regular office co-pays, but I can handle that! Thirty dollars per person sounds far better than one-thousand…

Now arrives the big decisions on which vaccines we should do. I think Brad is trying to lean towards ‘none!’ – but I’m sure that will change once I start nagging- I mean gently persuading him with the facts. Myself, I will have to have my Tetanus updated (this is one Brad for sure does not have to do, thanks to the ‘Christmas Eve Knife Disaster of '05’), and make sure I am current with the MMR. The CDC advices you to update your Polio, but did I ever even get an original Polio vaccine? I thought no one has had these for a long time… Plus, Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid, and Meningitis. Not so sure about the Yellow Fever vaccine - there seems to be quit a few side effects, and Ethiopia is not in an endemic area. But, it is one of those illnesses if there is an outbreak while we are in the country, I have heard we cannot come back to the U.S. until we get the vaccine? I would much rather get it here than there… Will have to do some research.

Anyways, to sum things up, a little-teensy-bit of my faith has been restored for big corporations.

Hip-hip-hooray for HealthPartners!

4 comments:

googles said...

I'm pretty sure we got Polio vac's when we were kids, but not the ones like my mom and your Dad did (the ones that leave big ass scars) I know my kids have both gotten them.

Anonymous said...

Never say you have even the teensy tiniest bit of faith in any corporation! It is a proven fact that the 25 riches corporations around the world are actually run by Satan. The men behind the curtain have no souls and do not care that you have a soul and are actually, technically, human. Corporations(by corporations I mean the people(usually men) who give the orders and therefore make the most money from the corporation) do not care about anything except buying new wallets and suitcases to keep even more money in. And if they do pretend to care about you they are only faking it to get information from you that will lead to more expensive wallets, houses, and yachts for themselves. And corporations do not only own expensive accessories and living establishments, they own the entire United States government, and therefore, a huge piece of the world. Don't try to argue, everyone knows the politicians are bought and sold. Politicians have no free thought, they just do what the people who are giving them the most money tell them to do. The taxpayers do not pay them even a fraction of what big business does, so you are just kidding yourself if you think your elected politicians actually care what you think. The only time politicians do care what you think is right around election day, and as soon as they win your vote they are back to kissing big business' big stinky butt. Okay. I guess I am done now. Oh yeah, Nick wants to know if you have watched his Enron DVD yet because he wants it back.

beth. said...

Oh, look! I can comment on my own page. Interesting...
Oh, Kimby, I understand what you are saying, but I think you need to settle down a notch. What I was trying to convey was that in a society were there doesn't seem to be much support for international adoption (example: zero paid time off from work, unlike if it was like maternity leave), I have been very pleasantly suprised at how accomadating HealthPartners has been. Not only with the immunizations, but also that they will cover my child from the moment we take custody in Ethiopia even though s/he will still be an Ethiopian citizen w/ a green card. I was worried there would be no coverage until we were able to re-adopt in the US, but that isn't the case. Happy day! Also, the representative actually congratulated me, which is above and beyond what even my own employer did amidst the 'trying to figure out my leave' episode (which I still haven't gotten totally solved yet... I'm hoping one of our trees will start magically growing money?)
So, am I satisfied with the state of health care in the U.S.? Absolutlely not. But, it is still better than none. Am I happy that our elected officials 'kiss big business' big stinky butt'? Heck no. Am I happy that there was an acutal human I could speak w/ at my health insurance company, and that she was friendly and excited about my adoption plan, and their company will cover my thousand dollar immunizations I need? Absolutley! Even though these big coporations are run by satan, as you say, there are still average everday people working there, and she helped me out greatly.

Anonymous said...

Kim just officially made the "No Fly List." Hope she has fun with Cat Stevens.