Friday, October 26, 2007
Out of Luck
In a conversation with a very dear friend of mine who is due with her first child at the end of January (unless you can cross your legs and try really hard for Feb. 1st? What an awesome 30th b-day present for me!), we were talking about how all of a sudden we are so old. Seriously, wasn’t it just yesterday we were having parties at the Hampton Inn because we were too young to get into bars, and too stupid to just stay home? Worrying the next morning, “are my eyes too bloodshot, or do my clothes stink too badly?”. Oh, wait… no, that was… thirteen years ago! Geez. Don’t try and tell me I’m not old.
Anyways, back to my original thought – we tried to assure each other we will still be ‘kick-ass moms’ (who, by the way, will never tell my teenagers what I did as a teenager), but she, too, was wondering who decided we are mature enough to be PARENTS!?! It is a frightening thought, but this got me thinking… well, in my case: the adoption agency, the social worker, the local police, the police in every county I’ve lived in for the last ten years, the FBI, my doctor, my bank, Dept of Homeland Security, my employer, two friends and two family members, Dept of Human Services,… am I forgetting anyone? Oh, and yes, the Ethiopian Government. So, I guess I am ready. Or so I’m told. You, on the other hand, my dear Annie, may be sh*t out of luck. :)
Anyways, back to my original thought – we tried to assure each other we will still be ‘kick-ass moms’ (who, by the way, will never tell my teenagers what I did as a teenager), but she, too, was wondering who decided we are mature enough to be PARENTS!?! It is a frightening thought, but this got me thinking… well, in my case: the adoption agency, the social worker, the local police, the police in every county I’ve lived in for the last ten years, the FBI, my doctor, my bank, Dept of Homeland Security, my employer, two friends and two family members, Dept of Human Services,… am I forgetting anyone? Oh, and yes, the Ethiopian Government. So, I guess I am ready. Or so I’m told. You, on the other hand, my dear Annie, may be sh*t out of luck. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Great, just great. I'm out of luck...:D
Thank you for having a good sense of humor. I love you, Annie!
Beth !!!! after reading your out of luck posting,I took a deep breath. Here,I always envisioned a sweet smart woman who stayed home nights and studied and went to bed early.Did you really party?? that is the part of growing up. what is the world like?? Love, g. Eiden
Post a Comment