Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Making a List - Checking it Twice

With only eight days (EIGHT DAYS!) before we leave, I am starting to hit full-on freak out mode. We aren’t just trying to prepare for an overseas trip; we are trying to plan for parenthood! Talk about pressure…

I’ve been pretty good so far about plowing through my to-do list (thank goodness for lunch breaks), but I’m starting to wear out. I’ve already been to the bank twice this week and it is only Tuesday; plus I’m pretty sure the team-members at the local store with a red bulls-eye know me by name. Yes, I was here yesterday. Yes, I’ve thought of something else I need. I may start to wear a disguise.

My list is creased, scribbled on, highlighted, and a little torn, but it is getting there. A small sampling of what I’ve accomplished:

* I’ve made two separate Dr. appointments for the poor little pumpkin when she gets home, and the pediatrician’s visit is only three days post arrival. Welcome to America - Land of lotsa’ shots and immunizations! Sorry, Little One.

* The drop off date for the car seat has been coordinated, because it dawned on me the other night that the ride that picks us up from the airport will need the proper surely-flailing-child-who-has-never-been-buckled-up-before restraining device. Looking forward to that experience, should be a blast. Are you sure you still want to pick us up, Dad?

* Two calls from yours truly and one call by hubby and we think we have Tesfanesh’s medical insurance figured out. Not that we can apply yet, apparently, but we at least now have confirmed what we need to do when we get home, jetlagged or not.

* Numerous shopping lists have been created and bought, only to be followed by another new one. It is like they are sprouting – who the heck needs all this stuff?! Oh, yes, that would be me… It is only I who decided I couldn’t possibly travel with out a new shower curtain and a mesh bag for the bath toys waiting for me at home. I mean, who wants to arrive home to a dirty shower curtain? Hello?

* There is still a tad-bit of toddler-proofing I need to do, mostly in the office. Brad was so kind to put up my shelves for me umm… four weeks ago? Five? But I have yet to fill them with my “so I don’t have to constantly say ‘don’t touch!’ items”. Kefelen has already been kind enough to do a little pre-Tes proofing for us – yes, the remote control cat toy would have obviously been a problem, thanks Kefelen for taking care of that :)

There is more that has been done, and more to be accomplished, but my brain is fried and it is time to go fill our prescriptions. Ah yes, another trip to Target. Yes, we were just there last night. Yes, they love us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I am always willing to help. Just tell me what to do and I will get it done!