Thursday, April 16, 2009
Not Enough
If you are curious what we were doing on this day one year ago, refresh yourself and go here. Wowza, one year! How it flies.
Since we are approaching our one year mark, I have been looking through our home videos and pictures taken over this last 365 days. How lovely it is to reminisce! And how amazing it is to see how far we have come in such a short time. I am indeed a blessed woman.
Looking back on these pictures of Ethiopia, though, brings my heart back to another place, too, lying right beneath the surface. Brad and I have been talking on and off (well, okay, let’s be perfectly honest here - I have been talking at Brad) for awhile now about the ‘sibling situation’. As in, siblings are great – we both love ours (especially those siblings of ours that read this blog *wink*wink*) so… what about Tes? Is she to have a sibling, or is our little happy family of three enough?
And there in lies the question… enough. Where to start? Not enough time, not enough money, not enough me to go around. Not enough room, not enough space in our fantastic-would-not-dream-of-taking-Tes-out-of daycare, (did I mention not enough money?), not enough faith.
Then again, when will it be enough? How will I know when we have hit that waterline? I have a cell phone, a gym membership, cable tv, two computers, and a $400 camera. Not enough? I have a house with a yard, a dishwasher, two cars and a steady job. Not enough? In the US, I was given the opportunity to seek a higher education, I have medical care, a constant supply of clean water, and enough food to feed my family three times a day. Still not enough? I could eat five times a day, six times a day, all day long if I wanted. Ridiculous, yes? Enough?
One year ago, in the orphanage, my daughter had access to some of that. They gave her medical care, three meals a day and powdered milk, and access to a tv for the first time in her life. Six months prior to that, she had a mother that loved her beyond all odds. She did not, however, have enough food, clean water, or access to doctors. This has left her with dainty, beautiful little scars from traditional medical procedures to ‘let the disease out’ – delicate, perfect little reminders of her Ethiopian Mother’s love and quest to be enough for her.
Life sure kicks you in the ass sometimes, doesn’t it?
So here I sit. I know there is room in my heart for another, it is for certain. In fact, it is waiting. We would be privileged to have another little tummy with us at the dinner table, another warm body between us at story time, another heart to beat along with mine. Which leads me to the question that has been plaguing my heart since about four months home with Tes… How do I reconcile the ‘American-Wants-and-Not-Enoughs’ in my mind that follow us here from billboard to tv to magazine; with the feeling of ‘I have enough, in fact, I have more to give’ that sits in my soul and screams? Truly, adoption is a major financial undertaking. Given the current market, there is absolutely no way we could do another home equity line, which is how we brought our Tesfanesh home, which we are, of course, still plugging away at. I have found some grants are out there, but they seem very elusive, especially in today’s tight-everywhere economy. To top it off, most need certification from your church of your Christianly goodness, so uhhh... yeah, we are out.
Surrounded by my material stuff overflowing I sit, but with a piece of my soul empty, wanting to reach out to another soul, a new child. All while thinking about a beautiful woman half way around the world, empty of material possessions, with a piece of her soul also missing, wanting to reach out to another soul, her child she had to let go.
Since we are approaching our one year mark, I have been looking through our home videos and pictures taken over this last 365 days. How lovely it is to reminisce! And how amazing it is to see how far we have come in such a short time. I am indeed a blessed woman.
Looking back on these pictures of Ethiopia, though, brings my heart back to another place, too, lying right beneath the surface. Brad and I have been talking on and off (well, okay, let’s be perfectly honest here - I have been talking at Brad) for awhile now about the ‘sibling situation’. As in, siblings are great – we both love ours (especially those siblings of ours that read this blog *wink*wink*) so… what about Tes? Is she to have a sibling, or is our little happy family of three enough?
And there in lies the question… enough. Where to start? Not enough time, not enough money, not enough me to go around. Not enough room, not enough space in our fantastic-would-not-dream-of-taking-Tes-out-of daycare, (did I mention not enough money?), not enough faith.
Then again, when will it be enough? How will I know when we have hit that waterline? I have a cell phone, a gym membership, cable tv, two computers, and a $400 camera. Not enough? I have a house with a yard, a dishwasher, two cars and a steady job. Not enough? In the US, I was given the opportunity to seek a higher education, I have medical care, a constant supply of clean water, and enough food to feed my family three times a day. Still not enough? I could eat five times a day, six times a day, all day long if I wanted. Ridiculous, yes? Enough?
One year ago, in the orphanage, my daughter had access to some of that. They gave her medical care, three meals a day and powdered milk, and access to a tv for the first time in her life. Six months prior to that, she had a mother that loved her beyond all odds. She did not, however, have enough food, clean water, or access to doctors. This has left her with dainty, beautiful little scars from traditional medical procedures to ‘let the disease out’ – delicate, perfect little reminders of her Ethiopian Mother’s love and quest to be enough for her.
Life sure kicks you in the ass sometimes, doesn’t it?
So here I sit. I know there is room in my heart for another, it is for certain. In fact, it is waiting. We would be privileged to have another little tummy with us at the dinner table, another warm body between us at story time, another heart to beat along with mine. Which leads me to the question that has been plaguing my heart since about four months home with Tes… How do I reconcile the ‘American-Wants-and-Not-Enoughs’ in my mind that follow us here from billboard to tv to magazine; with the feeling of ‘I have enough, in fact, I have more to give’ that sits in my soul and screams? Truly, adoption is a major financial undertaking. Given the current market, there is absolutely no way we could do another home equity line, which is how we brought our Tesfanesh home, which we are, of course, still plugging away at. I have found some grants are out there, but they seem very elusive, especially in today’s tight-everywhere economy. To top it off, most need certification from your church of your Christianly goodness, so uhhh... yeah, we are out.
Surrounded by my material stuff overflowing I sit, but with a piece of my soul empty, wanting to reach out to another soul, a new child. All while thinking about a beautiful woman half way around the world, empty of material possessions, with a piece of her soul also missing, wanting to reach out to another soul, her child she had to let go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
Goodness, I feel like I post on your blog all the time. I am sorry if it feels like I am stalking you. But, I swear...I am...I mean I am NOT. :) For some reason the words you say always resonate me to want to reply. LT has only been home 6 months and I have already started talking about more children. Dan listens and is not opposed but how would we ever afford it. Equity line tapped..yup...everything you said...yup. I don't have an answer...just wanted you to know that your heart is not alone in this wanting.
Wow Beth - you speak so eloquently about it all. My heart cracks a little further reading it as I am with you in this place. I too wonder about another little one to bless our lives and offer Eliana a sister or brother. I freak out thinking about it, being single and trying to wrap my mind around the fact that there could be two ganging up on me :-) The financial aspect of it is huge and I can't even begin to think of how it would work out...but I look around my life/house everyday and say How and why did we every come to the place that we have so much stuff we don't need - it truly baffles my mind!! Love to you and Brad and Tes.
All I have to say is that you are the best mom ever.
Oh Bethie, that one made me cry...you are an amazing Mom, and any child would be so blessed to call you their own. I love you.
Beth, Dave and I (Mitch and Jen's friends, you have met us on several occasions) are in the same boat, except we are looking to adopt for the first time. Perhaps we can think of some fundraising ideas together. I figure, the more people we know, the more could accomplish. BTW, love the blog.
To some degree I think what you wrote can resonate with every parent thinking of adding to their family. So many have obstacles to overcome, for so many. All I can think of is the adage, where there is a will there is a way. Keep searching for your way.
Post a Comment