Thursday, February 21, 2008

Up to Speed

I hear ya’ people. I’ve been very uncommitted to the blog lately. I agree. Only posting updates when there is something really big (COURT DATE COURT DATE!), when honestly, I am sure everyone is at the edge of their seats to hear about my everyday mundane stuff, too. Right? Oh well, even if the answer was an astounding “NO!” I am here, and you are there, and quite frankly I can’t hear you. And it’s my blog! So, poo on you, and here is a run down of my mostly boring life since our referral:

What do you do the day you accept your referral, still jittery with nerves on how wonderfully blessed you are? Why, buy a toddler bed off Craig’s List, of course!




Along the idea of shopping, then there was registering. Spending time pouring over items, deciding which stroller Tesfanesh would look cuter riding in… Sounds like it should be fun, yes? Oh… six hours later, Brad, Kimby, and I were not thinking so. Do we need a baby gate for the top of the stairs? If so, the taller one, or the stronger one? Is bisphenol-A free really such a big deal? I mean, really, will this sippy cup make her sprout and extra head, or is it like the warnings on artificial sweetener packets, where it only causes cancer in laboratory rats in California? We did our homework on the car seat choices before we even got to the store, but still had to take a significant time to re-ponder. Booster seats with five point harnesses can go up to 100 pounds now… but will a fourth grader really want to still sit in a car seat? Really? We are very new to this whole parenting thing, and probably looked pretty lost. Besides the fact that we confused the lady when we registered at the store whose logo is the big red bulls-eye, in that we were already wearing wedding rings, but were obviously (at least I hope obviously…) not pregnant. Then at store number two, the one with the crooked ‘R’ that caters to babies, there was at least a box to check ‘we are adopting’, but they still provided me with a complimentary box with a newborn diaper, a pad for sore breasts, and a pacifier. Seriously, why ask then? Perhaps because, man, this immigration paperwork is sure making my breasts sore? Perhaps that is what they were thinking?
Okay, I didn’t mean to ramble that long just about registering. It really wasn’t that eventful. I don’t even have a picture to share chronicling the event. So, onward we go…

I turned 30! That means I had a fantabulous surprise birthday party thrown for me by the best husband & sister around, and received a very moving gift from my hubby. But, that also means I am no longer 20-something. Yes, I have grey hairs and lines around my eyes. Let’s move on.



We shopped! My sister (a.k.a. Auntie Kimmy who has promised to not play inappropriate music around Little-One’s ears, keep her apartments smoke free, and not let her devil cat eat my child) went shopping at a kid’s used clothing store. We weren’t totally sure what sizes to buy, but we both walked out with shopping bags, so we must have made some decisions! I then washed and dried all the clothes we have for her, and even ironed them. And then took a picture. Even though Kimby said it was dumb. Did it anyway! And now I am posting it.



Broke my car on that trip. Busted a hole in my radiator. All the coolant leaked out all over said store’s parking lot, I am sure. But we didn’t notice. Until the idiot light starting flashing. Freaked out. Made it home, but made an even larger mess of more coolant and transmission fluid all over the garage floor. Crappy times. Let’s not reminisce. Moving on…

We sent a present to Tes! Our motorcycle mama friend Gloria was kind enough to embroider Tesfanesh’s name on a blanket we bought, plus we wanted to send a toy. Couldn’t decide between the pony and the doll, so we bought both. And I made a photo album for her, with our pictures in it, labeled ‘mom’ and ‘dad’ in both English and Amharic. Not that she can read, but the nannies can read it to her. We also added a picture of herself, because, really, what kid doesn’t like pictures of themselves? And one of the house, and two of her new bedroom, all labeled in both languages. Ahh… the wonders of the internet. How did I find anything before you? And a few of Fischer, of course. One of the Fischer pictures shows us holding him, smiling big smiles, showing that he is oh-so-nice, and nothing to be scared of. Hopefully our tactic works.




Hmmm… I think that should bring everyone up to speed on the life and times of our household. Although, I would like to take a brief moment to thank everyone who has wished my mom well, and for a speedy recovery. That too has consumed much of my time as of late, but is of course well worth it. She is doing better, and starting to look happier than I have seen her in awhile. Continue to hope with me that she gets stronger and happier each day.

Peace!

No comments: