Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Evening in the Life Of...

This post is about me, 'cause I need some sympathy here. I. Am. Busy. Constantly. All in all, it really is a good kind of busy - but still, a girl needs to vent once in awhile. So, I present to you - 'An Evening In The Life Of Beth / a.k.a. Life After Work' :

4:26 - Am relieved beyond belief that my boss leaves a few minutes early, because you know darn well that means I am leaving a few minutes early. I'm still going to have seriously haul my chunky butt down four flights of stairs (elevator is way too slow) and across four city blocks to make the 4:31 bus - but I may just make it if I push bystanders out of my way.

4:31 - Hallelujah - the bus gods smile on me today. I arrive as the bus pulls up, out of breath and wheezing like an asthmatic, but I am triumphant. I will now have time to get a nutritious dinner started and on its way before Tesfu and Brad make it home.

5:06 - After a short walk in the rain from the bus stop home, I've made it. And I'm no longer wheezing, so life is good there.

5:07 - Feed the cat, survey the cupboards. Decide chili dogs and fries are nutritious enough for this family. It is, at least, turkey chili and turkey dogs.



5:09 - Can't believe how quiet it is in this house with just lil' ole' me and the cat. Kinda' freaks me out.

5:14 - Decide to make the beds, because, after all, we still have a good six hours before the hubby and I go to bed, so its not like I'm making them right before you jump into slumber.



5:34 - Throw the turkey dogs into the water. Man, cooking is a strain.


5:36 - Brad and Tes come exploding through the door (well, mostly Tes did the exploding). Already wondering why I didn't like the quiet 27 minutes ago. Oh - and don't ask me about the two jackets. That is an issue that deserves a post of all its own - I just don't have the energy for it right now. Let's just say, this is one strange, strange little kiddo.


5:48 - Tes decides she would much rather have injera for dinner. We shrug and let her eat her hot dog with the Ethiopian bread. As long as it isn't blue crayon (or string or paint - also stories for another post), hey whatever. Eat away, kid.

6:02 - Tes and I head to the basement with my arms full of hair care supplies and a video to keep the Little One entertained. The next hour and a half I will be up to my elbows in oil, hair, and a child trying to dance along with 'Happy Feet' while Mom's fingers are tangled up braiding her pretty head of curls. Brad gone to run the errands we aren't daring enough to take Tes with to do.

7:26 - Final product - we call this one her Coolio look. Apparently it comes free with the stoned look.


7:27 - Tesfu relates the meaning of life, in two year old terms, of course.



7:28-8:35 - Brad home from errands in time for pajamas, books, snuggling, kisses, the normal forty minutes for the Tesfu to settle down and be able to drift into sleep. I realize for the second night this week I forgot to make her brush her teeth. Oopsie. Don't tell the dentist.

8:36 - Little One finally asleep, Mom can quietly escape the room.


8:37 - Doing up the dishes from dinner.


8:50 - Whew! Time to relax! Sit my rear on the couch for awhile. Turn on the tv.


9:03 - Realize the only crap on the tv is more political crappola... tolerate it for awhile. That is, until they start to interview Palin...



9:04 - The fact I wear glasses saves my left eye from inevitable doom as I decide it would be better to poke my eye out than watch a Palin interview.


10:30 - Blog about my day. Hey... do you ever feel like you are being watched?


5 comments:

whatever_heather said...

This is hilarious! Love the dinner and the hair. And I am glad your eyeball was spared.
You're such a maverick! ;)

Lyn-Dee said...

I am so glad I found you blog. It is pretty funny...at least this post...I will find out about the rest over the next several weeks. I am addicted to reading about other Ethiopian familes...and your girl is such a doll.

Unknown said...

You are about as adorable as your adorable Little One.

Ok, maybe not that adorable.

Love ya sis!

Carissa said...

I really enjoyed this post! Love the gnome in every shot. That must have taken some time to plan all that out!
I too have been tempted to stick a fork in my eye when listening to Palin talk. :)

Jess said...

Oh my, that was hilarious!!! My favorite by far! Lightened my whole day ;) Love the gnome in every shot...cracks me up!