Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can, Yes We Can...

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit since excitingly (and at times tearfully) watching the election results last night. Looking at the audiences of the two big speeches, McCain’s concession and (President-Elect!) Obama’s acceptance – which crowd looked more like the America you know and love?

It struck me that McCain’s gathered supporters where nearly 100% Caucasian. The group was well dressed, I saw a few holding wine glasses, and though you can’t really tell finances from appearances, they appeared well-to-do. They came out in their best red, white, and blue ties and pantsuits (emphasis on the white) – very prim and proper.
Obama’s gathering, on the otherhand, seemed to me to be a striking landscape of diversity – not only of race, but also in age, dress, appearance - everything. The excitement and hope on the faces of these people, our fellow Americans - whether you agree with their politics or not - was absolutely electric. This is the group that I believe most accurately encompasses the current demographic of our United States.

In my humble opinion, I think we finally have a leader whom can truly speak for the masses with confidence and our support. I can say I am truly proud to be an American again, and not just because there is no other place I’d go. But rather, it is because THIS is where I want to be.

So, I thank you, President-Elect Obama. Thank you for being the one to stand up and give so many of us who felt disenfranchised the ability for hope.

Also, I cannot talk about this election without acknowledging the historic passing of a line of old white men. Thank you fellow voters who helped the glass ceiling be shattered with the first African American leader of this free country. It is with more certainty in my voice now that I can look into my daughter’s eyes and tell her “baby, you can be anything you want to be.”

Rosa sat so that Martin could walk
Martin walked so that Barack could run
Barack ran so that my child might fly

2 comments:

whatever_heather said...

I love this, and you made me cry for the 276485030th time this week!
:)

Unknown said...

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!